A Socially Distance Field Day
By: John EI1761
DTG :1000-1600hrs 03/01/2021Location: IO63lf or Rathangan, Co. Kildare
Steps I Took
- Drink some coffee
- Uncoil the dipole legs - give out to yourself for newbie mistake of coiling wrong way.
- Drink another mouthful of coffee.
- Connect aerial to nanovna to get a baseline.
- Scratch head for a while.
- Disconnect VNA and connect Radio to see if you can pick up anything. listen to two lads rag chewing one in Floirda the other in Finland.
- Celebrate that aerial picks up traffic with a mouthful of coffee.
- Jump on to ELARC WhatsApp group to update the lads.
- Share screenshots of VNA plots.
- Adjust VNA to display 80m band edges to make tuning easier. Cheers Dom (EI5IAB)
- First adjustment was to reduce each leg by 1 meter,
- A better SWR reading - adjust some more by reducing by a further 50cm
- A lot better reading now, advised by Frank (EI8HIB) to reduce by the magical figure of 220mm?
- Drink another mouthful of coffee and another newbie error of leaving the VNA turned on while making adjustments in cold weather just runs the battery down very fast.
- Quick 5min charge in the car to get the final SWR reading of the day.
- Disassemble of kit.
- Write the steps down from YouTube video rather than just following along particular for the equipment you can't use at kitchen table aka VNA on aerial.
- Coffee in Bodum cup is still burning hot after an hour in the cold.
- Coil wires for deployment not for convenience.
- Ensure your checklist includes batteries for accessories and not just ones for the radio,
The narrative below complied from content of the Clubs WhatsApp Group Chat and videos with John during the antenna build has been compiled by Frank
Photographs and text for context by John
Fourth sweep reduced each leg by a futher .5 meter, sweep is still 2.5MHz to 3.8MHz. but Dip is centered on 3.644MHz
Final sweep after brief interruption, reduced each leg by the magical 220mm, and adjusted sweep to 3.6MHz to 3.8Mhz dip is centered on 3.678MHz
For this one I also took SWR readings.
3.6MHz is 1.57
Dip at 3.678MHz is 1.08
3.8MHz is 1.83